Saturday, September 22, 2012

Riley's Really Sorry

Riley Evans was always getting into trouble. She made messes. She didn't listen. She did what she wasn't supposed to. Yet, Riley didn't mean to make so much trouble.

"Riley!" called her mother from downstairs "Why are your toys all over the living room again?"

"I'm sorry, Mommy." called Riley. She hurried downstairs to clean her mess. When she was finished, she was really hungry. "Can I have a snack?" she asked eagerly.

Mommy nodded. "Why don't you have a cheese stick?" suggested Mommy.

"We don't have any cheese sticks."

"What do you mean we don't have any cheese sticks?"

Riley looked down at the ground. "I finished them the other day." she admitted.

"Riley," said Mommy disappointedly. "Why didn't you tell me we were out of cheese sticks? I went shopping yesterday. If I had known we were out of them I would have bought more."

"I'm sorry, Mommy." said Riley again. Suddenly, she wasn't very hungry anymore. She quietly tiptoed out of the room before Mommy got even madder and scurried quickly up the stairs.

She flopped down on her bed and looked around her room for something to do. She spied something in the corner of her room and went over to see what it was. It was her yellow ball. She knew Mommy didn't like her to play ball in the house, but she started bouncing it around her room anyway.

"Riley!" called Mommy from downstairs again upon hearing the bounce of the ball. "What are you doing?" She did not sound happy.

Startled by the sound of her mother's voice, Riley let the ball slip out of her hands. It banged into her night table and knocked it over. The lamp that was standing on the table skidded off and broke.

The loud crash sent Mommy quickly rushing up the stairs once again yelling Riley's name. Upon seeing the damage in Riley's room, she didn't say anything. She just looked at Riley disappointedly.

Riley hung her head down and starred at the floor. "I'm sorry. Mommy." she whispered. She really was.

That wasn't enough for Mommy. "I know you're sorry, Riley." she said angrily. "You're always sorry. Sometimes, sorry just isn't good enough. Sorry is not going to fix that lamp. Your grandma gave it to us just for you when you were born. You need to listen. You need to do what your supposed to in the first place. Then, maybe you won't end up having to say you're sorry all the time."

Riley just looked at her mother. She was really really sorry, but she didn't say anything. She was so sorry she had disappointed Mommy. She really wanted to make Mommy proud.

The next day, Riley cleaned her room without being asked. When she finished the last apple she told Mommy. She picked up her roller skates which lay next to the front door and was about to put them on when she remembered she wasn't supposed to skate in the house. She put them away in the garage.

At bedtime. Mommy told her. "I'm very proud of you, Riley. You didn't have to say sorry once today." She smiled at Riley.

At first Riley was really proud and happy. She smiled back at Mommy. Then, suddenly. she burst into tears.

"Riley sweetie," said Mommy sitting on the bed beside her. "Whatever is the matter? Do you feel okay?" Riley nodded through her tears.  "Then, what's the matter?" asked Mommy again. "You had a real good day today. You should be proud of yourself. I'm proud of you."

"I know, Mommy." replied Riley. "I know I was really good today. I know you are proud of me."

"Then, why are you crying?"

"What if I am not so good tomorrow? What if I have to say I'm sorry for something? What if I have to say sorry for a lot of things? Then, you won't be proud of me anymore."

Mommy scooped Riley up in her arms and kissed her. "I will always love you, and I will always be proud of you."

"But what if I'm not always good." worried Riley.

"All I ask is that you try your best." said Mommy.

"I can do that." replied Riley instantly feeling a lot better.

"I know you can." said Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment