Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Cat Like Kiki

Rachel's Grandma had a cat named Kiki. Kiki was an orange tabby. Rachel loved Kiki. Every time she went to Grandma's she would help take care of Kiki. She wished she could have a cat just like Kiki.

One day, her wish came true. "Rachel," said Mommy and Daddy. "We're so proud of you. You have been doing such a good job helping Grandma take care of Kiki. We thought that it's time you got a cat of your own."

"Really!" Rachel squealed excitedly jumping up and hugging each of her parents. "Thank you so much! I can't wait to get my own cat!"

The next day, they took Rachel to the shelter. There were all kinds of cats. There were big cats and little cats. There were black cats and white cats and gray cats. There were  striped cats and plain cats. There were no orange tabby cats like Kiki though. Rachel frowned.

"What's the matter?" asked Mommy. "You look disappointed."

"Aren't there any cats here that you like?" asked Daddy.

Rachel shook her head sadly. "I was kind of hoping for a cat like Kiki." she said.

"But there are plenty of cats here." said Mommy. "How about this one?" she suggested pointing to a little black cat.

"Too black. Too small." replied Rachel.

"Then what about this one?"  suggested Daddy pointing to a big white cat.

"Too white. Too big." replied Rachel.

"Well, why don't you take another look around." said Mommy.

Rachel nodded okay. She took a slow walk around the shelter. She stopped at every cage and studied every cat. Finally, she shook her head again. "No." she insisted. "I don't want any of these cats."

"Okay." said Mommy. "We'll try again next week."

The next week they came back, and there were more cats. There were big cats and little cats. There were black cats and white cats and gray cats. There were striped cats and plain cats. Still there was no orange tabby cat.

Once again, Rachel carefully looked at every cat in every cage. Once again, she rejected every one. "There are no cats here I want." she said sadly.

"Are you sure Rachel?" asked Mommy. "That little gray striped one is awful cute."

"Too little. Too Stripey." replied Rachel shaking her head.

"Then, how about that big black and white one." suggested Daddy.

"Too black. Too white. Too big." said Rachel."I don't want any of these cats." she added pointing around the room to the various cats. "Can we come back next week."

Mommy and Daddy glanced at each other. They were not sure. They did not think Rachel was ever going to find a cat. They did not want to spend every weekend at the shelter.

The next day, Grandma came by. She brought Kiki with her. "Kiki!" exclaimed Rachel scooping the cat up in her arms.

"Come sit down and talk to me." said Grandma. She sat down on the porch swing and Rachel sat beside her. Rachel put Kiki down on her lap. The cat purred happily as Rachel petted her.

"You really love Kiki don't you?" Grandma said to Rachel. Rachel nodded and continued petting Kiki. "Would you liked to have her?"

Rachel nodded. "Can I?" she asked excitedly. "Can I really?"

Grandma nodded. "She loves you and you love her. I am sure you will take good care of her."

"I will!" promised Rachel.

"I am going to miss my little Kiki." Grandma said kissing the cat. "She and I have been together a long time. I got her from the shelter when she was just a baby."

"You did?" asked Rachel in surprise. She did not know that.

"Somebody found her in an abandoned house and brought her there. She was just a scared tiny little thing. They told me that nobody else wanted her because she was so scared and tiny. I knew she was the cat for me though. I knew as soon as I saw her. She needed me "

Rachel looked at Kiki. Rachel had never seen Kiki scared or little. She couldn't imagine Kiki that way. Kiki was certainly happy and healthy now. As if to prove the point, Kiki rubbed her head against Rachel's arm begging to be petted more.

Rachel thought about the cats she had seen in the shelter. Some of them were scared and tiny too. Maybe, one of them needed her like Kiki had needed Grandma. She knew what she had to do. "You keep Kiki, Grandma." she said.

"Are you sure?" asked Grandma.

Rachel nodded. "Kiki doesn't need me. She has you. Those cats at the shelter don't have anybody. They need me. I am going to go back to the shelter to get one of them."

"Are you sure?" asked Grandma again.

Rachel nodded. "Yes I am sure." she replied.

The next week Rachel and Mommy and Daddy went back to the shelter. Rachel picked out a little white cat, the scaredest littlest cat of all. "I'm going to call you, Snowflake." she said to the little cat. "And I am going to take you home with me because you need me, and I need you too."

No comments:

Post a Comment