Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Hayden's Hero

This story is by Melia.



Hayden Massey was ten years old. She had just started fifth grade and her first assignment of the year was to write a report about her favorite hero. "Well that should be easy; you love superheroes! Which one are you going to choose?" asked her mother.

"I'm not sure yet," Hayden replied honestly.

She walked into room where images of Batman, Superman, Iron Man, Spider-man, and the Flash lined the walls. There were posters, action figures, DVDs, and just about any other type of merchandise imaginable  for dozens of superheroes. Hayden gazed around the room, looking over every one of them to find inspiration, but she still couldn't seem to figure which one was the best.

That night, she was sitting on the couch in her living room reading a book when her sister, Grace, entered. "Hey," she said. "I heard about your essay. Have you decided which hero you're going to write about?"

Hayden sighed. "Not yet. I like so many superheroes but I don't think any of them are my favorite."

"Well did your teacher actually say it had to be a 'superhero'?" Grace asked, sitting down beside her sister.

Hayden thought about it. "No, I guess not. But isn't that the only kind of hero there is?"

"Of course not!" Grace exclaimed. "A hero is somebody you look up to. Somebody who inspires you to work harder, be kinder, and believe in yourself. It can be a superhero, but it could just as easily be someone real. You just have to think about who it is that makes you want to be the best version of yourself that you can be."

"Wow, I never thought about it that way," Hayden said, and suddenly she knew exactly what to write. "Thanks, Grace!" she called out as she ran into her room.

As soon as she sat down at her desk and pulled out a sheet of paper, the words began flowing right out of her. It was the easiest paper she had ever had to write. Within twenty minutes, she had finished it and tucked it carefully into her backpack to hand in the next day.

A few days later, Hayden excitedly rushed home from the bus stop, clutching her report in her hand. "Mom, come here!" she yelled as soon as she stepped through the front door.

"What is it? Is something wrong?" her mom asked, hurrying over to her daughter.

"I got an A+ on my hero essay!" she squealed, jumping up and down.

"That's wonderful! Which hero did you end up writing about?"

Hayden smiled. "I wrote about someone who makes me want to work harder, be kinder, and believe in myself. The most inspirational hero I know. You," she declared.

Tears came to her mother's eyes as she looked upon her daughter feeling prouder and more honored than she had ever felt before. "Thank you so much, honey. And you know what?"

"What?" Hayden asked.

"You're my hero, too."

Hayden hugged her mom tightly. "I love you, mom. No matter how cool or powerful superheroes may be, you'll also be my favorite hero."

No comments:

Post a Comment