Sunday, April 3, 2016

On the Way

Zaria Moore was sitting on her mother's bed watching TV. "Zaria, honey?" asked her mother sweetly. "Can you go and get me my glasses? I think I left them in the living room." Zaria gave her mother a very unhappy look and didn't  get up. "Please, Zaria? " asked her mother.

"Okay." replied Zaria miserably. She reluctantly got out of the bed and headed out of the room to look for Mommy's glasses.

On the way to the stairs, she passed by her sister, Zan's room. She peeked in. Her sister, Zan was painting her nails bright purple. "Oh! How pretty!" exclaimed Zaria hurrying in to get a closer look. "Can you do my nails too?" she asked eagerly.

Zan ignored her and kept polishing her nails. "Rats!" she loudly exclaimed as she accidentally smudged a finger. She looked around for the nail polish remover but couldn't find it. "Zaria?" she asked in an overly sweet voice. "Can you go get me the nail polish remover, please?"

Now, it was Zaria's turn to ignore her sister. She remained silent.

"Please, Zaria." repeared Zan. "I'll do your nails."

"Okay." agreed Zaria happily. "Where is it?"

"It's on the dining room table." replied Zan.

Zaria hurried off downstairs to get the nail polish remover.

On the way to the dining room, she passed the front door. She saw her father working with a bunch of tools. "What are you doing, Daddy?" she asked curiously.

"I'm putting in a new doorbell." replied her father.

"What's the matter with the old one?" asked Zaria.

"It's too quiet." answered her father.

That was true. Lots of times when somebody rang the bell nobody in the house could ever hear it.

"Can I help?" asked Zaria eagerly.

"I don't think so, pumpkin." replied her father.

Zaria frowned disappointedly.

Her father reached for a screwdriver. "This isn't the right one." he said. He hunted through his toolbox but couldn't seem to find the tool he was looking for. "Zaria, can you get me my small flathead screwdriver?" he asked.

"Would I be helping?" asked Zaria hopefully.

"Very much." replied Daddy.

"Okay, Daddy." agreed Zaria happily. "Where is it?"

"It's in the garage on my workbench."

On the way to the garage, Zaria saw her brother Zeke in the family room eating a snack. She hurried over to him. "What are you eating?" she asked curiously.

"Cheesy popcorn." replied Zeke as he shoved another handful into his mouth.

"Oh." replied Zaria jealously as her mouth began to water. The popcorn looked and smelled delicious. Zaria really loved cheesy popcorn. "Can I have some?" she asked.

Zeke ignored her and continued eating. Then, suddenly he choked a little and coughed. "Zaria?" he asked when he recovered. "Can you get me my water bottle?"

Now, it was Zaria's turn to ignore her brother. She said nothing.

"Please, Zaria." begged Zeke. "I'll let you have some of my popcorn."

Zaria's eyes lit up. "Okay." she agreed eagerly. "Where is it?"

"It's in the bathroom." replied Zeke. "I forgot it in there after I filled it."

On the way to the bathroom, Zaria heard a noise. It sounded like it was coming from the backyard. She hurried to the sliding glass door that led to the yard to see what it was. It was just a  noisy bird sitting in the big oak tree. It looked like a really pretty red bird. Zaria opened the door and went outside to get a closer look. The bird flew way. Zaria was disappointed but it was such a nice day out that Zaria didn't want to waste it. She went over to her swingset and sat down and started swinging away happily.

Zaria loved swinging. She liked to pretend she was flying.It worked much better if she closed her eyes though so she quickly closed them. When she opened her eyes again, she was surrounded by a sea of angry faces. They were the unhappy faces of her family.

"Where's my glasses?" asked Mommy.

"Where's my nail polish remover?" asked Zan.

"Where's my screwdriver?" asked Daddy.

"Where's my water bottle?" asked Zeke.

"Oh." replied Zaria sheepishly. "I forgot."

No comments:

Post a Comment