Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Marvelous Mother Goose

Little Bo Peep sat crying in the meadow. Her sheep were nowhere to be found. "What's the matter?" asked Kitten One, of the famous three little kittens.

"I lost my sheep, " cried poor Little Bo Peep "and, I don't know where to find them. In fact, I am always losing my sheep, and if I can't keep from losing them, I'm going to lose my job. Whatever shall I do?" She hung her head in her hands and sighed sadly.

"Why don't you ask the Marvelous Mother Goose for help?'  suggested Kitten One.

Little Bo Peep looked up curiously. "Who is the Marvelous Mother Goose?" she asked. She had never heard of such a person.

"You've never heard of the Marvelous Mother Goose?" asked Kitten One with complete and utter surprise. "Why, she is just the most powerful person in all of Fairy Tale Land,"

"The Marvelous Mother Goose?" repeated Little Bo Beep. She looked up at Kitten One hopefully. "Do you think should she could help me find me my sheep and keep from losing them again?"

"Definitely." Kitten One assured her. "The Marvelous Mother Goose can do anything. Just last week she helped my sisters and I find our mittens."

"Great!" exclaimed Little Bo Peep jumping up and down with excitement at the thought of being able to find her lost sheep and keep them from wandering off again.  She took off in search of the Marvelous Mother Goose, and then suddenly realized she had no idea where she was going. "Excuse me!" she called to the retreating figure of Kitten One. "Where can I find this Marvelous Mother Goose?"

"Just follow the Garden Path." replied Kitten One before heading off in the opposite direction.

"Follow the Garden Path. Follow the Garden Path." Little Bo Peep repeated out loud over and over again. Then, suddenly she came to a cornfield. In the cornfield, there was a haystack. Little Bo Peep thought she saw arms and legs in the middle of haystack. She was worried that someone was in trouble in there so she quickly went over to check it out. "Hello?" she said poking at the one of the arms coming out of the haystack.

"Ouch!" said a voice as a little boy jumped out of the haystack. "Why are you poking me?"

"I just want to make sure you were okay." replied Little Bo Peep.

"Well, you didn't have to poke me." declared the little boy. Then, he started looked around frantically.

"What's the matter?" inquired Little Bo Peep. " Did you lose something?"

"My sheep!" exclaimed the little boy. "I lost my sheep."

"I lost my sheep too." Little Bo Peep told him. "I'm on my way to the Marvelous Mother Goose. She is going to help me find  and keep my sheep."

"The Marvelous Mother Goose?" repeated the little boy. "Do you think she could help me find my sheep too, and keep from falling asleep so I don't lose them again either?"

"I'm sure." she could replied Little Bo Peep. "I'm told she can do anything. Why don't you join me? I'm Little Bo Peep." She put out her hand.

"I'm Little Boy Blue," said the boy taking her hand and shaking it. "How do we get to the Marvelous Mother Goose?"

"Just follow the Garden Path." she told him.

"Follow the Garden Path?" he repeated.

"Yes, follow the Garden Path." she said. And they both kept repeating it. "Follow the Garden Path. Follow the Garden Path,"

Then suddenly, they stopped. "What is that?" asked Little Bo Peep as she thought she heard a noise. Then, suddenly she felt something on her lips and somebody was kissing her.  She jumped back and quickly ran over to Little Boy Blue.

A  boy appeared in their path. "Oh not another one!" he cried sadly putting his head in his hands. "Why do the girls always run from me? At least you didn't cry though." he added brightening up a little. "They usual cry."

"Well, I'm not a crier" said Little Bo Peep proudly.

"But when I met you ..." started Little Boy Blue but Little Bo Peep cut him off with a harsh look.

"For one thing, " Little Bo Peep continued "You shouldn't sneak up on people and kiss them."

"Maybe the Marvelous Mother Goose can help him." suggested Little Boy Blue,

"Who is the Marvelous Mother Goose?" asked the boy. They told him all about the Marvelous Mother Goose. He told them he would love to join them and see if the Marvelous Mother Goose could help him keep all the girls from crying and  running away from him. After all, how was he ever going to get a date if the girls wouldn't stop running away from him?

Little Bo Peep and Little Boy Blue introduced themselves to the boy. He told them that his name was Georgy Porgie. They all set off down the Garden Path together in search of the Marvelous Mother Goose.

They had only gone a few feet when they heard a scream. "Did you see it? Did you see it?" a girl exclaimed frightenedly running into their path.

They shook their heads. "See what?" they asked.

"See the spider. Oh, it was big and black, and it was terrible. I'm deathly afraid of spiders." admitted the girl.

"Can't you just avoid them then?" suggested Little Boy Blue.

"Avoiding spiders is easier said than done." replied the girl. "especially if you care to keep your house clean like I do."

"Maybe, the Marvelous Mother Goose can help her get over her fear of spiders too." suggested Georgie Porgie.

"That's a great idea!" exclaimed Little Bo Peep. "Why don't you come with us? We're on on our way to the Marvelous Mother Goose?"

They didn't have to ask twice. The girl, whose name was Little Miss Muffett decided to join them. They quickly set off down the Garden Path.

They had only walked a little further when they reached a sunny cottage. They knocked on the door. "Come in!" called a Grandmotherly voice. They carefully entered. Inside they found a kindly old woman who looked like a goose. "Are you the Marvelous Mother Goose?" asked Little Bo Peep as the others all hung back behind her.

"Well, of course I am." replied the woman "You were expecting a giant head behind a curtain, maybe?"

"Are you going to make us perform a feat like finding  a witch's broomstick or cutting out the heart of a princess and bringing it to you before you help us?" asked Georgie Porgie worriedly. He couldn't stop his knees from shaking in nervousness at the presence of  the Marvelous Mother Goose. It was the first time he had ever been afraid of a female instead of the other way around.

Mother Goose laughed. She had a lovely musical sounding laugh. "Of course not." she declared. "Those feats are for other people in other times and places. What can I do for you, my children?"

"Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep and needs a better way of keeping track of them. Georgie Porgie can't get the girls to stop running away from him. Miss Muffet is deathly afraid of spiders. I lost my sheep too, and I can't stop falling asleep on the job. " Little Boy Blue explained in a rush.

The Marvelous Mother Goose smiled. "Well, that's all easily solvable." she said. "As for all the missing sheep come and see." She led them to her backyard where two herds of sheep were grazing on her lawn.  "I wondered where all these sheep came from that are destroying my grass and flowers. See it's true when they say that when you help others you're really helping yourself. If I help you with your problems I will also be getting rid of these sheep, and that will eliminate my problem. Let this be a lesson to you children. Always help others."

"Mother Goose," said Little Miss Muffet impatiently. "You're rambling. Could we get on with it? I am kind of tired. I've haven't been sleeping much. My fear of spiders has been keeping me awake nights."

"Yes, of course, dear." replied the Marvelous Mother Goose. "Let's start with you first. I don't know how to get rid of spiders, but what I can do is give you this giant can of bug spray." She took out a huge red can marked Bug Spray. It was the biggest can any of them had ever seen. It was as big as a two liter bottle of soda. She handed it to Little Miss Muffet.

"Oh thank you. Mother Goose." exclaimed Miss Muffet gratefully. "Those spiders better be afraid of me now!" she added waving the can of bug spray around.

"Be careful, dear." warned Mother Goose. "It's not to be used on other people." Miss Muffet carefully put the spray down as Mother Goose moved on to Georgie Porgie. "As for you," she said to him. "First of all, you should stop sneaking up on girls and kissing them."

Georgie Porgie's mouth fell open. "How did you know about that?" he asked.

"I'm the Marvelous Mother Goose. Some things I just know." she said. "Anyway I can't help you with that, but I can help you with your other problem which is that you have terrible bad breath. Maybe, your breath is one reason why the girls always run away from you and cry when you kiss them."

"How do you know I have bad breath?" asked Georgie Porgie.

"I can smell it from here." replied Mother Goose waving the smell away from her face. Little Bo Peep and Little Miss Muffet both nodded in agreement. "Here is something to help with that." Mother Goose told him. She handed him  a huge round white candy. "This is the neverending breath mint." she explained just suck on it for a few minutes when you need it to freshen your breath."

"Thank you Mother Goose." declared Georgie Porgie gratefully. He immediately popped the mint in his mouth and began sucking on it.

Mother Goose moved on to Little Boy Blue. She handed him a wrist watch. "Make sure this is set to go off at regular intervals when you're on the job, and you'll never fall asleep on the job again."

"Thank you." replied Little Boy Blue sincerely. "What about Little Bo Peep? What can you do for her?"

"Ah yes. Little Bo Peep." replied Mother Goose. "Her problem is a little more complicated than yours. She needs a tracking device for her sheep so if they wander off she can find them. I haven't gotten anything like that yet, but in the meantime, here are some bells we can use to keep track of the sheep's comings and goings."  Little Boy Blue, Georgie Porgie, Little Miss Muffett and Little Bo Peep herself all helped Mother Goose put bells around Little Bo Peep's sheeps necks.

Afterwards, they all thanked the Marvelous Mother Goose again for helping them, took the gifts she had given the, gathered up Little Bo Peep and Little Boy Blue's sheep and headed back down the Garden Path toward their homes.

Just as they started walking down the path, a very upset young girl was running up it. "Mother Goose! Mother Goose!" she cried in a very worried voice. "My lamb has come to school again!"

Mother Goose poked her head out of the cottage window. "Don't worry. Mary." she called. "I'll be right with you." To the others, she said. "The Marvelous Mother Goose's work is never done."

No comments:

Post a Comment