Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Great Race

Harry Faber was a fast runner, and he was proud of it. He was always bragging about how fast he was, and how he could beat anyone in race. "I'll take on any man any time, any place, and I can beat him in a race." he boasted confidently.

His little sister. Torrance made a face. She was so tied of hearing Harry brag. "What about any woman?" she asked. "Could you beat any woman in a race?"

Harry burst out laughing. He couldn't stop laughing for a full five minutes. When he was finally able to stop and catch his breath, he said, "Well, of course. I could beat any woman in a race. Women aren't even as fast as men, and I can beat any man."

"Could you beat me?" asked Torrance in a very serious tone.

Harry looked at his sister as though she were a stranger creature from another planet. "Why, of course, I could beat you." he replied indignant that she could even think otherwise. "You're not even a woman. You're just a little girl."

Torrance glared at him angrily. "And you're just a boy, Harry Faber!" she replied hotly.

"I'm older than you," answered Harry, "and stronger and faster."

"Okay," said Torrance. "It's on."

"What's on?" asked Harry in confusion.

"You and I are going to race, and I am going to beat you." replied Torrance. Now, it was her turn to be confident.

"You'll race me?" exclaimed Harry in surprise. "You actually think you can beat me in a race?" He just shook his head at his little sister.

Torrance didn't back down one bit. "Yes, I'll race you and I'll beat you." she replied

Harry did not want to humiliate his little sister, but now she had gone too far. They were going to have to go through with this farce of a race. "Okay. I'll race you.'" he agreed. "You just tell me where and when and I'll be there."

"From the school playground to our house tomorrow at 4:30 in the afternoon. " declared Torrance. The distance from the school playground to the house was about a mile.

"Are you sure you want to race a whole mile? I can beat you in a lot less. " stated Harry.

Torrance glared at him. "I'm sure," she said.

The next afternoon they walked slowly over to the playground to conserve their energy for the race. Mom would be waiting at home on the porch. The first person to reach her would be declared the winner of the race.

"Are you ready?" asked Harry. Torrance nodded, and as she got in position to run, Harry asked. "Are you sure you want to go through with this?"

 "Just get on with it." Torrance replied impatiently glaring at her brother.

"I'll tell you what. Since you're younger and slower and a girl, I'll give you a head start."

"That isn't necessary." replied Torrance.

"I know it isn't necessary for me at least, but, since I'm a gentleman and your brother and a nice person, I'm going to anyway. I'll count to three, you start. I'll wait two minutes, then I'll start."

"You're my brother. I'm not sure about those other things." mumbled Torrance under her breath. To Harry, she just said "Whatever." and frowned at his nerve in thinking she needed a head start.  She didn't want one, and she didn't think she needed one.

Harry counted to three and Torrance took off like a shot. Harry glanced at his watch to see what time it was and what time he needed to start. When he looked up again a couple of pretty girls were passing by. "Well, hello, there." said Harry.

"Hi," the girls chorused back.

Harry introduced himself to the girls and begin chatting and flirting with them. They chatted and flirted right back. 'What a nice way to waste a couple of minutes.' he  thought happily to himself. He quickly glanced at his watch again and saw that what he thought had been only a couple of minutes talking to the pretty girls had actually been about ten minutes more than the head start he told Torrance he was going to give her, He said goodbye to the girls and blasted off towards home.

"Well, hello there." Torrance greeted Harry with a huge smile on her face when he arrived on the front porch a few minutes later. "Where've you been?"

"You?  How? " Harry gasped as he collapsed on the porch out of breath.

Just then the two girls from the playground strolled by on the sidewalk. "Hi Torrance." they greeted her warmly as they passed by.

Torrance waved back and blushed as Harry stared at her,

'You!" he said. "You know those girls! You set me up!" he exclaimed pointing his finger at his sister.

"I said I could beat you in a race." replied Torrance calmly. "I didn't say how." Then, she quickly ran away from her brother while he was still in no condition to follow her.

No comments:

Post a Comment