Sunday, July 5, 2015

Chandler's Tale

This is a tale, new to the world, and I can tell you for sure, it's unlike anything you've ever heard. For this tale, is about Chandler, who has witnessed the world in a way very different than you.

Thud! I landed gracefully on a soft beige couch. It was my favorite place to sit because the sun hit me in all the right places. "No, no," my sister, Laurie exclaimed, "I need to sit there. You sit on the floor."

She was much bigger than me and scooted me right out of my spot. I growled. I didn't push her off the couch. But I didn't feel like fighting so I trudged off to the kitchen.

Once there, I caught a whiff of something delicious and jumped up to see what it was, but of course I was too small. I usually was. If only I was bigger. "Oh well," I thought, heading over to my little bowl.

It didn't look very appetizing but it was better than nothing so I dug in. Halfway through, I realized I should save some for later since I usually got hungry in the afternoon, so I drank some water and headed for the dining room to take a nap.

When I woke up again, it seemed much later and nobody seemed to be around. "Perfect," I thought.

That meant that, for once, I could take a bath without someone barging in. It was so embarrassing the way they would come in while I was cleaning myself and talk about how adorable it was.

Then, they would just kiss me and move on. It had always bothered me that I had so much more hair than them. They all felt so smooth.

Although, it was nice that they loved me even though I was different. My family was great that way. The only thing I didn't like was that it seemed as if none of them understood me.

Well, that and the fact that they were always picking me up, or hugging me tightly so I could barely breathe. The worst were the kisses. I hated the kisses.

Didn't they realize that I was a guy and I needed my space? I had a reputation to keep.

But, all of that was nothing compared to the good parts of my family. They fed me, and gave me shelter, and toys. But most importantly they loved me through thick and thin. No matter how much trouble I caused.

Anyway, after I finished my bath I decided to explore. I always enjoyed an adventure. As I walked past the things that I saw everyday, something new caught my eye.

Where the closed screen door usually was, there was an open clearing. Behind it, a small creature hopped around.

It was like nothing I'd ever seen before. I needed to get closer.

I took a quick look around the house to make sure no one was watching, and then dashed outside after the small thing.

I chased it around and around until finally it was out of sight. "Well," I thought, "Time to go back home."

Looking around, I realized that I didn't know where that was. I was lost, and extremely scared. I missed my mother. I missed my father. I even missed Laurie, although I was still annoyed about the couch.(Older sisters could be very bossy and controlling.)

I heard a noise and jumped into the air. Then, I took off running. Past bushes, past houses, past trees. I needed to get home.

Suddenly, I heard a voice booming, "Chandler! Chandler, where are you?"

It was my father! I rushed toward him and he scooped me into his arms. Mom and Laurie were right behind him.

They carried me home, the whole way talking about how worried they had been.

I hadn't meant to worry them. I was just trying to explore. But they seemed happy just to have me back.

"Chandler, please don't run off again like that," mom exclaimed.

"Yeah, we don't know what we'd do without our favorite little kitten," Laurie added.

Oh yeah, did I mention I'm a cat?

Mom, dad, and Laurie all hugged and kissed me over and over, but this time I didn't mind.

I guess my life was pretty great. Maybe I didn't have to leave the house to find adventure.

For now, I was good right where I was.

Meow!


No comments:

Post a Comment