Tuesday, February 10, 2015

I Want To Be You

Gianna Piper adored her older sister, Graziella. Graziella was smart and pretty and popular. Gianna followed Graziella around and copied what she did and said. Eventually, Gianna decided that wasn't enough. She didn't just want to be like Grazeilla, she literally wanted to be her sister. Instead of just following Graziella around and copying what she did and said, Gianna started following her sister around with a notebook taking notes.

It was driving Graziella crazy. No matter where she went, her little sister was there with that stupid notebook of hers. When Graziella was walking down the hall, she could feel someone behind her looking at her. It was creepy almost like being stalked. She turned around quickly, and of course, there was Gianna with a great big smile on her face. "Hi." she said cheerfully as if it were normal to be following another person around taking notes on them. After all, Graziella was sure the notes were about her. What else could they be about that would make it necessary for Gianna to follow her around?

"What are you doing?" asked Graziella accusingly. "Why are you following me around, and why are you taking notes? Are you spying on me?"

Gianna looked her sister as if Graziella were the crazy one. "Of course, I'm not spying on you." she declared acting hurt that Graziella would even think of accusing her of such a thing. "If I was, I wouldn't be a very good spy if all I did was follow you around out in the open where you can see me."

"Then, what are you doing?" Graziella asked again.

Gianna smiled brightly at her sister maybe even a little too brightly  as if it should be obvious to Graziella what she was doing. "I'm taking notes on you." she explained.

Graziella was more confused than ever. She looked at Gianna as if she were certifiably insane.
"Why are you taking notes on me?" Graziella asked unsure even as she said it that she really wanted to know the answer.

"Someday, I'm gonna be you." declared Gianna as though the answer should have been obvious all along.

"What?" replied Graziella shaking her head. This was just getting crazier and crazier. "You can't be another person."

"Sure I can." insisted Gianna.

"Okay, let's say for a minute that you could be me." conceded Graziella. "Even though of course, the very idea is ridiculous and you can't. But, let's just say for a minute you could. When are you going to be me?"

"When I get a little older."

"Who will I be when you're me?"

Gianna was silent for a minute. She bit her lip and thought hard. Then, she smiled as an idea came to her. "You'll be George Clooney." she declared.

"There's already a George Clooney." pointed out Graziella.

"That's okay. You're going to be him." insisted Gianna.

"I don't want to be George Clooney." replied Graziella equally as insistently.

"It doesn't matter. " declared Gianna stubbornly. "You're going to be George Clooney.

Graziella just shook her head sadly. "You're crazy." she said. Still shaking her head, she went out of the room.

For a few more days, Gianna continued to follow Graziella around with a notebook. It was incredibly annoying.

Sometimes, Gianna even asked questions. That was even more annoying. "What flavor ice cream are you eating?"  Gianna asked or "Where did you get that shirt? I want to know where to shop when I'm you." Usually, Graziella just looked at Gianna like she was crazy and didn't bother answering.

Finally, one day Graziella had enough. She'd had a hard day at school, she had a lot of homework, and she was really tired. Gianna following her around with that notebook of hers asking a billion questions did not help Graziella's mood at all. "Will you just stop following me around!" she screamed at her little sister.

Gianna who had been about to ask her sister another question was stunned into silence. For several minutes, she didn't even move. She just glared at Graziella. Then, finally she shook her head and left the room.

For the rest of the day, wherever Graziella went there was no sign of Gianna. At first, Graziella was relieved to not have anyone following her around any more. Then, she felt guilty for yelling at her little sister. She went to find Gianna and apologize.

She finally found Gianna in the family room. Gianna was sitting on the couch watching TV. The notebook was in her lap, and she was taking notes as she watched.

Graziella smiled at her. "Hey," she greeted her sister cheerfully. "What are you doing?" she said, but she said it nicely not like she was accusing Gianna of anything.

Gianna looked up and glared at her sister, but she didn't say anything.

"How can you be taking notes on me if I'm not even in the room?" Graziella teased.

"I'm not taking notes on you." replied Gianna.

"Why not I thought you wanted to be me?

Gianna didn't say anything.

"I'm really sorry." said Graziella and she genuinely meant it. She hugged her little sister. "I love you."

"Okay." said Gianna hugging her back. "I love you too."

"I'm going upstairs " announced Graziella. "Do you want to come? Maybe, we can play a game?"

"No." said Gianna. "I have to stay and take notes."

"How are you going to take notes if I'm not there."

"I'm not going to be you anymore."

"You're not?"C

Gianna shook her head. "No, I'm not " she verified. "Now, I'm going to be Doc McStuffins."

No comments:

Post a Comment