Friday, January 2, 2015

Too little, too big

Trista Qualley was too little. She was too little too stay up late. She was too little to hang out with her friends at the mall. She was too little to watch her baby sister, Tobi while Mommy cooked dinner.

"Please can I watch her for you?" Trista begged. "I'll take good care of her." she promised.

Mommy smiled at Trista. "I know you love your sister, but your just too little. Go and find Tanya".  Trista bit her lip and frowned Tanya was Trista's older sister. She was not too  little for anything.

Trista Qualley was too big. She was too big to stay home all day with Mommy instead of going to school. She was too big to be picked up and carried. She was too big to sleep in Mommy and Daddy's bed when she had a bad dream at night. "But Tobi gets to sleep with you." she pouted.

"Tobi is a baby." pointed out Mommy. "You're a big girl."

"A big girl maybe but not big enough. " She was always too big and too small. She was never the right size.

"When am I going to get bigger?" Trista asked. "When am I going to get older?" That wasn't really the answer she realized because Tanya was always going to be older than her and get to do things she couldn't.  She was never going to be smaller or younger than Tobi either because she couldn't grow backwards.

Trista sat on her bed feeling sorry for herself. After a while, Mommy came looking for her. "What's the matter?" Mommy asked when she saw Trista's pouty face.

"I'm never going to be big enough." whined Trista.

"Big enough for what?" asked Mommy.

"Big enough for anything!"

"Of course. You will. You'll grow." promised Mommy.

"But it won't matter because Tanya is always going to be bigger than me."

"Yes, but that doesn't mean that you're not special too." replied Mommy.

Trista rolled her eyes at Mom. "Of course, you have to say that your my Mommy."

Mommy smiled and hugged Trista. "I love you." she said, "Your my baby."

"I'm not your baby. " shouted Trista. "Tobi is your baby. She is little and cute. I'm not little, and I am not every going to be little again. I am not little. I am not big. I am not anything. " She buried her face in her pillow and cried. Nothing Mommy could do or say would comfort her.

"Mom!" Tanya called from downstairs. "The spaghetti is boiling over."

"I have to go sweetie." Mommy said to Trista, "but this conversation is not over."

Mommy got busy making dinner, and she didn't come back. Finally. Trista had enough of feeling sorry for herself for a while, and she went downstairs to see what was going on.

When she got downstairs Tobi was in her high chair. Mommy and Tanya were crawling around on the floor. "What's going on?" asked Trista. "Are you playing baby or something?"

Tanya looked up and glared at Trista. "Of course, not." she said angrily. "We're looking for Mom's wedding ring. She can't  find it."

"Can I help look?" asked Trista.

"Your too little." said Tanya.

Now, it was Mommy's turn to give Tanya a look. Then, Mommy smiled at Trista thankfully. "I would appreciate your help."  she said. Trista got down on the floor and started crawling around too.

After a few minutes, Tanya shouted. "I see something shiny behind the cabinet." They all went over to the cabinet and looked. Sure enough, it was Mommy's wedding ring. Mommy reached for it, but her hand was too big. "I'll get it, Mom." said Tanya.  She reached for it but her hand was too big too.

"I'll get it, Mommy." said Trista. Her hand was just the right size. She reached behind the cabinet, pulled out the ring and handed it to Mommy.

"Thank you, sweetie." Mommy said happily  as she quickly slipped the ring back on her finger.  She kissed Trista gratefully.

Trista smiled. Maybe, she wasn't always too big or too small after all. Maybe, sometimes, she was just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment