Saturday, October 26, 2013

What's in a Name?

Mae Johnson hated her name. She thought it was the stupidest most boring name in the world. One day, she decided she'd had enough of it, and she just wasn't going to answer to it anymore. "I'm not going to be Mae anymore." She told her Mommy at breakfast. "From now on call me Alisandre." Mommy smiled but didn't really think that Mae was serious.

At lunch time, Mommy called out "Mae! It's time for lunch!" There was no answer and nobody came running. Again, she called out "Mae! Please come to lunch now!" Finally, she called out "Alisandre!" In two seconds Mae was at her seat at the table ready for lunch. Mommy just shook her head.

The next day when Mae came down to breakfast. Mommy said "Good morning, Mae." thinking that surely by now Mae must be back to herself. Mae shook her head. She wasn't ready to go back to that old boring name. "Alisandre?" asked Mommy uncertainly.

Mae shook her head. "I don't want that old stuffy name." she said shaking her head. "I'm changing my name to Calliope. From now on call me Calliope."

"Calliope." repeated Mommy frowning.

"Yes." said Mae. "Calliope Johnson that's me. Doesn't that just sound wonderful?" she asked dreamily. It was everything she could possibly want in a name.

"Eat your breakfast, Calliope Johnson." replied Mommy shaking her head .

By lunch time, Mae was already bored with Calliope. "After all," as she explained to Mommy, "a name with that much music in it can give a person a headache just hearing it all the time. I have decided to call myself Willamina because Willamina is a wonderful name."

Mommy just nodded her head but didn't say anything. She thought Mae was a wonderful name.

When Daddy came home from work and saw Mae, he said "How's my little Maebug?"

"Daddy!" exclaimed Mae. "I am not little. I am not a bug, and I am not Mae."

"You're not Mae?" said Daddy. "Then, who are you and what have you done with my Maebug?" Daddy asked smiling as he lifted Mae up into his arms.

"Seriously, Daddy." replied Mae squirming out of Daddy's arms. "Mae is a boring name. I am not Mae anymore. From now on my name is Katrinka."

"Why would you want to call yourself Katrinka when you already have a beautiful name like Mae?" asked Daddy.

Mae wrinkled her nose and shook her head. "Daddy, " she said "Mae is not a beautiful name! Katrinka is a beautiful name! Mae is a boring name. It is not special at all. It's just boring!"

"Your mother, and I think Mae is a beautiful name. We think it is the most special beautiful name in the world and that is why we gave it to our beautiful special daughter."

"You did?" asked Mae in surprise.

"We did." said Daddy. "We went through tons and tons of name books, and we could not find a name that we thought was more beautiful or special than Mae."

 Just then, Mommy came in from the kitchen were she had been preparing dinner. "Go get washed up, Katrinka." she said. "It is still Katrinka, isn't it?"

Mae shook her head. "No, mommy." she said. "I'm Mae, and I am always going to be Mae."

"I'm glad." said Mommy.

"Me too." said Mae.

No comments:

Post a Comment