Sunday, October 13, 2013

Liora the Liar

Liora Sanders was lonely. She had just moved to a new town, and she didn't have any friends yet. She watched all the other kids having a good time and playing together on the playground, and she was filled with jealousy. She wanted to make some new friends and make them quickly.

Liora approached two girls in her class, Patsy Nicoletti and Grace Mero. They were sitting on a bench and chattering and giggling and just generally having a good time."Hi."she said cheerfully. "I am Liora Sanders." The two girls just kept on chattering and giggling to themselves and didn't even seem to notice Liora. "I just moved here." said Liora. Patsy and Grace still ignored her. "I have 17 pets" said Liora.

Patsy and Grace immediately stopped talking. "What? they said unsure whether to believe Liora or not.

"I have 2 dogs, 3 cats, 4 hamsters, 5 fish, a guinea pig, a bird, and a goat named Billa. My Dad got Billa when made his last movie. We just got so attached to her that they let us keep her."

Patsy and Grace's eyes practically bulged out of their heads. "You have a goat?" asked Patsy.

"Your Dad's a movie star?" asked Grace.

Liora nodded her head. "Yes, " she said to Patsy. "That's why we moved here because you can't really keep a goat in a penthouse apartment. Our new house is so big we have plenty of room for all our animals." To Grace she said. "My Dad's been in over 20 movies. My Mom used to be an actress too, but she stopped when she had me because she didn't want me to be raised by nannies and housekeepers."

"Has your Dad been in anything I would have seen?" asked Grace.

Liora shook her head. "I doubt  it, " she said "unless you go to a lot of R rated movies. He is going to be making his first PG rated movie soon though and Zac Efron and Miranda Cosgrove are playing his kids."

The two girls eyes practically bulged out of their heads again. "Zach Efron?" said Patsy. She closed her eyes dreamily and sighed.

"Miranda Cosgrove?" added Grace jealoulsy. "I just loved her in i-Carly.

Liora quickly put her hand to her mouth.  "Oh." she said worriedly through her fingers. "I wasn't supposed to say anything. My father doesn't want people hanging around the house and asking him to get Zac and Miranda's autograph's and stuff."

Grace and Patsy frowned. They had been planning to do just that. "Your probably lying anyway." said Grace.

"Yeah." agreed Patsy."Why should we believe you?"

The next day Liora brought in a picture of herself. In the picture she was standing next to a brown and white goat. "This is Billa." she said.

Grace and Patsy's eyes opened as wide as two saucers and their jaws dropped. They didn't know what to say. "Do you want to be our friend?" Grace asked finally as Patsy nodded in agreement.

Liora smiled eagerly. "I would love that. I would really love that." she replied truthfully.

After that the three girls were inseparable. They played together every day at recess. Grace and Patsy kept asking Liora when they could come to her house and see all her animals, but Liora kept putting them off. "We are still getting the house organized from moving and my mother doesn't want company." she explained one day. "My Dad was filming late last night, and he is going to be sleeping all day." she said another.

One day in school, they were having a party for the 100th day. Liora was surprised and horrified to find out that one of the parents that would be helping out that day was her mother. "Are you surprised to see me?" asked her mother cheerfully. Liora was surprised but not happy. She frowned deeply. Her mother didn't seem to notice. "You always wanted me to volunteer at your school, but I couldn't so I took a vacation day today so I could come in." explained her mother. Liora shook her head sadly. That had been in her old school when she was with her old friends.

Before she could stop them, Patsy and Grace excitedly came over to Liora and her mother. "Hi!" they greeted Liora's mother warmly. "I'm Patsy." said Patsy.

"I'm Grace." added Grace.

"It's so nice to meet you." replied Liora's mother. "I have heard so much about you."

"We are glad to meet you too."they said. They immediately started peppering her with questions.

"What's it like living with a goat?" asked Patsy.

"Do you miss making movies?" asked Grace.

"What!?" asked Liora's mother. She looked at Liora. Liora said nothing. She just looked away.

"Don't you have a pet goat?" asked Patsy.

"Didn't you used to be a movie star?" asked Grace.

Liora's mother smiled. "Very funny." she said. "Is this some kind of joke?" she asked Liora, but Liora didn't answer. She didn't even look at her mother. 

Patsy and Grace did not look amused. In fact, they looked downright angry. They looked at Liora. Then, they looked back at her mother.  "Liora told us you have 17 pets including a goat." said Patsy angrily as she realized Liora had been lying to them all along."

"Yeah, and she said her Dad was a movie star, and you used to be one too." added Grace equally as angrily.

The two girls glared at Liora. Her mother looked at her too but with confusion "Liora?" asked her mother. She still didn't quite know what was going on.

Liora bit her lip to keep from crying. "I just wanted you to like me." she said to Grace and Patsy. "I just wanted to have friends."

"But you lied to us."  said Patsy as Grace nodded vigorously. "Do you really have any pets at all?

"We do have two dogs." said Liora's mother.

"I like dogs." said Grace.

"My husband is a pilot, and I work in an art gallery." added Liora's mother.

"Wow," replied Patsy. "I have never even been on an airplane."

"Liora's been on planes since she was a baby." said her mother. Liora nodded but didn't say anything.

Patsy looked at Liora. "Your're life is still pretty cool even if you don't have 15 pets and movie stars for parents." she said.

"Yeah." added Grace. "Why did you have to lie about it?"

"I really wanted you to like me."

"We would have liked you better if you didn't lie to us."

"I'm sorry." Liora said sincerely. "Can I have another chance?" she added quietly.

"Well you were pretty fun to hang around with." admitted Grace, "And I would like to meet your dogs."

"And I'd love to hear about all your airplane trips." added Patsy.

"But you can't ever lie to us again." insisted Grace as Patsy nodded.

"I won't I promise." agreed Liora.

"Wait a minute!" exclaimed Patsy.

"What?" asked Liora worriedly.

"What about that picture of you and the goat?" asked Patsy.

"Oh yeah." said Grace eagerly waiting for Liora's explanation.

"Oh that." replied Liora. "That was taken when my family went on a trip to farm." she explained.

"That's right." said Liora's mother knowing just what picture they were talking about. "Right after that picture was taken the goat tried to eat Liora's hair."

The mental picture of Liora with a goat eating her hair made Patsy and Grace burst out laughing. They smiled at Liora. Liora smiled back and laughed right along with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment