Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Happy Flower

Zara McKenzie was feeling sad and blue. It was raining outside, and she had nothing to do. She had a fight with her best friend, Jolie Abbott. There was nothing on TV. It was just generally a bad day.

"What's the matter?" asked her mother.

"I just feel sad today." replied Zara with a sigh.

"Why don't you read a book?" suggested her mother.

"I don't feel like it." replied Zara.

"Why don't you play with your toys?"

"I don't feel like it." replied Zara again.

"Why don't you call Jolie?"

Zara glared at her mother. "We are not speaking." she said.

"So, " said her mother. "You are just going to sit there all day and feel sorry for yourself?"

"Maybe," replied Zara.

Her mother shook her head sadly and left the room. Zara resumed staring out the window.

A little while later, Grandma arrived. "How is my beautiful granddaughter?" she asked cheerfully kissing Zara on the cheek.

"Hi Grandma." replied Zara not nearly as cheerfully as she quickly rubbed the traces of Grandma's lipstick off her cheek.

"Well that doesn't sound like a very cheerful hello." said Grandma. "What is the matter?"

"I'm just sad today, Grandma." Zara told her.

"I have just the thing to cheer you up." said Grandma.

"You do?" asked Zara in surprise. She just felt so sad today. She didn't really think there was anything Grandma could do to make her feel better.

"Sure I do. " replied Grandma. She opened her big pocketbook and took out a pink plastic flower pinned to a hairclip. "Here." she said to Zara. "This is my happy flower. Whenever I wear it, I feel better. I don't need it today so you can borrow it."

Zara shook her head. "No thanks, Grandma. I don't think a flower is going to make me feel better." Grandma didn't listen. She proceeded to pin the flower to Zara's hair.

"Now look at yourself you're beautiful." Grandma insisted. Zara didn't want to but Grandma put a mirror in front of her face, and she couldn't help seeing herself in it.

"I  do look pretty." she said. She felt a little better but not much.

By now, it had stopped raining. Zara and Grandma decided to go for a walk. On the way, they walked right past Jolie's house. Jolie was standing on the driveway as they went by. "I like your flower." she called to Zara as she passed.

"Thanks." replied Zara.

Jolie ran up to her. "I don't remember what we were fighting about, but I'm sorry."

Zara smiled. "I don't remember either, and I'm sorry too." she said.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" asked Jolie.

"Yes." replied Zara. "I'll see you tomorrow." She and Grandma continued walking.

Finally, they arrived home. It was just about dinner time. Mommy asked Zara to help Grandma set the table in the dining room. Zara grabbed a handful of silverware from the kitchen drawer. As she went past the big mirror in the hallway, she saw her reflection.The flower was gone from her hair. "Oh no." she said worriedly. "Grandma I lost your happy flower."

Grandma smiled. "Don't worry." she said. "It was just an ordinary flower. There is no such thing as a happy flower. Happiness is not something that just comes to us. Happiness is something that we have to look for."

Zara shook her head at Grandma. "But, then why did you tell me it was a happy flower?"

"If I told you, you had to find your own happiness would you have believed me?"

Zara shook her head again. "No, I wouldn't." she admitted. Just then she spied a bit of pink on the dining room floor. She leaned down and picked it up. It was the flower. "Look, Grandma!" she said excitedly. "I found it! Can I keep it?"

"You do know it isn't really a happy flower and it can't make you happy all by itself?" asked Grandma.

"But it does make happy." replied Zara with a smile. "Not because it is brings me happiness or anything like that. It makes me happy because it reminds me of you because you gave it to me."

Now, it was Grandma's turn to smile. She hugged her granddaughter. "You're a very smart girl."

"I take after you." replied Zara.

No comments:

Post a Comment