Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Nellie the Night Owl

Nellie Abernathy did not like to go to sleep. She would do everything to avoid bed time. "I need another drink, Mommy." she begged. When Mommy gave her a glass of water, she would sip it really slowly. Then, she would ask for another.

"Go to sleep, Nellie." Mommy would say kissing her on her forehead. She turned off Nellie's light, left the room, and shut the door.

A few minutes later, Nellie's door would swing open and Nellie would hurry out of the room and down the hall to her parents bedroom. "Daddy, " she would say throwing herself into her father's arms. "I think there is a monster in my room. You better come and check."

Her father would smile and say. "Don't worry I already monster-proofed your room. Come I'll take you back." Sometimes, he would pick her up and carry her. Other times, he would just take her by the hand. He would always gently tuck her back into her bed.

"Can you please sit with me for five minutes?" she would beg making her saddest puppy dog face.

"Okay." Daddy would say. He couldn't resist her sad puppy dog face.

Nellie wouldn't even try to sleep. She would just lie quietly in her bed.

After five minutes, Daddy would get up to leave the room.

Nellie would sit straight up in her bed. "Oh Daddy! Another five minutes. Please!"

"Nellie, it's bed time." Daddy would say kissing her quickly and leaving the room before her sad puppy dog face got to him again.

Still, even when Mommy and Daddy were gone, Nellie wouldn't go to sleep. She would lie in bed thinking and making up stories in her head. She would play with the toys on her bed. She would try to read her books in the dark.

Every once in a while, Mommy or Daddy would come in to check on her. "Nellie go to sleep." they would say when they found her still awake.

One day, Nellie was watching TV. She saw a commercial for a movie she wanted to see. "Oh! The Cutie Pies! I really want to see that movie!"she said excitedly.

"It's on tomorrow morning!" said Mommy.

"I can't wait!" said Nellie excitedly.

That night, Nellie didn't sleep any more than she usually did. The next morning when she woke up, she sat down eagerly in front of the TV. "When is my movie on, mommy?" she asked.

"I'm sorry honey." Mommy said sadly. "The movie was on at 8:00 am. Now, it's 10:00 am. It's already over."

"But mommy why didn't you wake me?

"I tried waking you, but you wouldn't get up. I'm sure you were tired because you didn't get enough sleep last night.

"Oh." said Nellie. She was disappointed. She had really wanted to see that movie.

Daddy came in the room and gave Nellie a kiss. "Hey baby!" he said. "Why do you look so sad?" Nellie told him about missing the movie. "I'm sorry." he said.

"What are you doing?" Nellie asked.

"I'm getting ready to go fishing tomorrow." Daddy explained as he headed into the garage to get together his fishing gear.

"Can I go?" asked Nellie following him. "You've been promising me you would take me fishing."

"Sure." said Daddy, "I guess now is as good a time as any as long as your Mom says it okay."

Mommy agreed, and Nellie was really excited. She couldn't wait to go fishing. She forgot all about the movie.

That night Mommy and Daddy tried to put Nellie to bed early. Nellie wasn't having any of that. She stalled as long as she could. Then, she played with her toys and read her books and did all the things she usually did. She went to sleep as late as ever.

The next morning, Daddy went in and tried to wake her for the fishing trip. "Nellie." he said "Nellie, baby. It's time to wake up."  Nellie didn't budge. Her father gently shook her. Nellie turned over in her bed and buried her face in her pillow.

A few hours later, she woke up and got dressed. "I'm ready to go!" she called excitedly going downstairs and looking for her dad. Mommy was all alone in the kitchen sitting at the counter drinking tea. "Where is Daddy?" asked Nellie.

"He went fishing." said Mommy.

"But he was going to take me!" whined Nellie.

"You didn't want to get up." explained Mommy.

Nellie sat down at the kitchen table and put her chin in her hand. She had really wanted to go fishing. She was tired of missing out on everything good.

Mommy finished her drink. "I'm sorry, sweetie." she said to Nellie.

"Where are you going?" she asked as Mommy started to leave the room.

"I'm going to call Grandma. We are going into the city tomorrow to do some shopping, and I need to make arrangements."

"Can I come shopping?" asked Nellie.

"Sure." replied Mommy. "You can use some new clothes. A lot of the ones you have now are getting too small on you."

Nellie clapped her hands with excitement. She loved getting new clothes.

"But we are leaving early in the morning." warned Mommy.

"I'll be ready." Nellie promised.

That night, Nellie went right to bed. She didn't even ask for one glass of water let alone two. She didn't lie in bed thinking or making up stories. She didn't play with her toys. She didn't try to read her books in the dark. She went right to sleep.

The next morning, she woke up bright and early. She didn't even wait for Mommy to come in her room and wake her. She got dressed and went looking for Mommy.

"I'm ready Mommy." she said.

Mommy was all dressed and ready too, but she was surprised to see Nellie. "Nellie," she said. "I wasn't really expecting to see you. I didn't think you'd get up."

"I went to bed right right away last night. Mommy, and I wasn't tired in the morning not at all like I usually am." Nellie told her "And, I got right up this morning."

"See." said Mommy. "That's what happens when you get enough sleep. I'm proud of you, Nellie." replied Mommy.

"Thanks, mommy." said Nellie.

"Now let's go shopping." said Mommy.

"Let's go shopping." echoed Nellie happily.

No comments:

Post a Comment