Thursday, March 7, 2013

Mommy Always Comes Back

Elena Garitty sat on the edge of her mother's bed looking as though she were about to burst into tears any minute. "Do you have to go Mommy?" she asked opening her big brown eyes widely and pouting her lips and making her best sad puppy face.

Mommy smiled and patted Elena on the head. "You know I do." she replied. "I promised Aunt Amelia I would help her with the new baby. I'll only be gone two weeks. You'll hardly notice I am gone."

"Of course. I'll notice you're gone. I'll miss you!" declared Elena grabbing on to her mother and clinging for dear life.

"Elena,"" said Mommy gently loosening Elena's grip. "I've been gone before.

"Yes, but not this long." replied Elena.

"I have to finish packing now, sweetie. Would you like to help me?"

Elena nodded. Inside she was screaming No! No! No! I don't want to help you because I don't want you to go Mommy, but she knew if she said it out loud it wouldn't do any good so just kept quiet.

Soon Mommy was done packing. She took her suitcase down the stairs. Elena trailed behind looking as sad as ever. At the door Daddy joined them. He kissed Mommy and said. "Drive carefully. Call us when you get there to let us know you made it there safely." It made Elena feel even worse now that she had the added worry of thinking that there was a possibility that Mommy wouldn't make it there safely. She hadn't thought about that before.

Mommy kissed Elena. "I love you my sweet. Be good for your Daddy."

"I love you to." replied Elena. She watched Mommy open the door and go out. She watched Mommy get in the car and pull it out of the driveway. She watched Mommy drive down the street. For a long time after Mommy left, she just stood by the window staring outside.

Elena and Daddy had a good week together. They played games and watched movies and went to the park. Of course, all of that was when Elena wasn't in school and Daddy wasn't at work. Elena never usually got to spend that much time with Daddy. It was fun, but she still missed Mommy. When she and Daddy were busy together, the time passed quickly. The rest of the time passed by slowly. Every day, Elena would ask "Is Mommy coming home today?"

Every day, Daddy would reply. "Not today kitten." Kitten was his special name for her.

Elena would sigh and say. "I miss Mommy."

"I miss Mommy too." Daddy would reply.

One day when Daddy and Elena were sitting on the bed, Elena said "Daddy?"

"Yes, kitten? " replied Daddy.

"What if Mommy doesn't come back?"

Daddy smiled at Elena. "That's silly," he assured her, "Of course, Mommy is coming back." he insisted. He showed her the calender and they marked a big circle on the day when Mommy would be home. Now, Elena didn't have to ask Daddy anymore. She could just look at the calender. Every day, she crossed off a day on the calender which meant it was getting closer and closer to the day Mommy would come back. Elena couldn't wait.

Finally it was here! The day Mommy was coming home. Elena felt like it was a celebration. She put on a pretty dress and waited. All day, she stood by the window and watched and waited eagerly. Mommy never came. Daddy was wrong, Mommy wasn't coming back. Maybe, she didn't love them after all. Elena's heart was broken.  Daddy took her up to bed. He didn't say anything, but he looked worried too.

A few hours later, Elena was awakened by a gentle kiss on the check. Her eyes fluttered open. "Mommy!" she said excitedly. She grabbed Mommy and hugged her tightly. "Oh, Mommy. I missed you."

"I missed you too." replied Mommy hugging Elena back tightly. She didn't seem to want to let go any more than Elena did.

"I thought you weren't coming back." Elena scolded her mother finally pulling away. "I waited all day, and you didn't come."

"I'm sorry, sweet." replied Mommy. "I had some car trouble, and it took me longer than I expected to get home."

"But you're here now." said Elena happily. "I wish you didn't ever have to go away again." she added feeling sad at just the prospect that Mommy might ever have to go away again.

"Well, I can't promise you that I'll never have to go away again." said Mommy honestly. Elena frowned. "But I can promise you that no matter when I go no matter where I go no matter how long I am gone, I will always come back."  Elena smiled and hugged her mother tightly again.

No comments:

Post a Comment