Wednesday, August 15, 2012

First Grade Blues

Amanda Bryson loved preschool. She was crazy about kindergarten. She did not at all want to go to first grade. "Do I have to go to first grade?" she asked her Dad.

"You'll  love first grade." her Dad promised. Amanda frowned at him. She didn't think so.

Her Mom told her, "You sure are a big girl to be going to school all day."

Amanda looked as though she were going to cry."But, won't you miss me, mommy." she asked sadly.

"Well, of course, I'll miss you, but you'll come home every day." her Mom assured her.

"That's right I will." replied Amanda brightening a little.

Over all, Amanda didn't feel better though. Mommy found her a little while later lying on the couch chewing on her favorite stuffed bear's ear.  "Amanda, you'll hurt Wally." teased Mom gently taking the brown fluffy stuffed bear out of Amanda's mouth and picking it up. Despite her lighthearted tone, she was worried about her daughter. Amanda hadn't chewed on her toys since she was 2 or 3.

 "Don't worry." Her father assured her mother when she worriedly told him about Amanda chewing on her toys again.  "She's just nervous about first grade."

"I know she is." replied her mother. "But I wish there was some way I could help her."

Her father knew just what to do. "Amanda," he told her as he held her in his lap. "Your worried about first grade, aren't you?" Amanda nodded and hugged him tightly. "Don't worry." he said. "You are going to love first grade."

"How do you know?" asked Amanda.

"I know." replied her father.

"But how do you know?" asked Amanda again.

"I'm sure you will like first grade. Besides, if you don't like it, you won't have to go back." he added.

Amanda smiled and felt genuinely happy for the first time in a long time.

A few days later, Mommy put Amanda on the big yellow school bus in the morning. Amanda felt nervous again. She was too nervous to even be excited about wearing her new blue and white striped dress and her new blue shoes and carrying her new Doc McStuffins backpack. On the bus, she kept telling herself. 'If I don't like it, I don't have to back. If I don't like it, I don't have to go back.'

That afternoon, Mommy waited eagerly for Amanda at the bus stop after school. Amanda was the first one off the bus. She jumped happily into her Mother's waiting arms. "Oh, Mommy." she said excitedly."First grade is the best year ever! I made friends!  I love my teacher, Mrs. West, and we made a cool art project!"

"I'm so glad you had a good time, sweetheart." said Mommy. "I knew you would." However,  even though Mommy knew Amanda would have a good time in first grade, she didn't know she would love it so much right away.  "What would you have done if she came back to you and said she wanted to stop going to first grade because you said she didn't have to go if she didn't like it?" she asked Amanda's father.

"I don't know." her father admitted. "I hadn't thought about that."

No comments:

Post a Comment