Monday, May 28, 2012

Talia's Monster


 Today's Story is  by Melia


"Mommy I can't sleep in my bed tonight. So I'll sleep with you." Talia explained to Mommy.

"And why is that?" Mommy asked.

Talia grabbed a cookie from the cookie jar. Gave her mother a pleading look and begged, "Please, mommy! Please! Let me sleep in your bed with you tonight. There's a monster in my closet."

Mommy covered her mouth to stifle a giggle. "Oh honey, there's no such thing as monsters. It's probably just because it's dark, and you see shadows of the things in your room." Mommy giggled again.

Kirsti, Talia's big sister, laughed and teased, "There's no monster in your closet. There's only a monster in your bed!"

Talia look up with big eyes at Mommy. Now, she was even more scared at the the thought of a monster actually in her bed. What if it would try to cut her toes off while she was sleeping? Or what if the monster wanted to eat her head off while she was just sitting there quietly thinking on the edge of her bed? "The monster must be living under my bed." she decided.

This must have scared her baby sister, Lizzy too because she started crying. Mommy lifted her up and said, "Now, I don't want to hear any more about this monster nonsense because it's scaring Lizzy, but if you really believe there is a monster under your bed, you can go talk to Daddy about it."

Talia ran upstairs to find  Daddy. Kirsti followed her to find out what would happen next. When Talia found Daddy, she commanded, "There's a monster under my bed. Go kill it." Daddy chuckled and strolled into Talia's room.

Daddy inspected the room. Last he came to under the bed. "Nope. No monsters in here, my sweetie pie. Now it's time for bed."

Even though, Talia trusted her Daddy. She still was afraid there was a monster in her bed. So that night, after staying awake for about two hours on guard watching for a monster, she strolled to Mommy and Daddy's room. After finding their door locked so they could have some Mommy and Daddy time, she scurried into Kirsti's room. When she found Kirsti fast asleep, she crawled in bed with her and curled up to go to sleep.

This went on for the next few weeks until one day before Talia woke up, Kirsti marched downstairs. Eyes slanted, hands on hips, hair flying all over the place, crossly she yelled, "I'm fed up with having to share my bed with my little sister! It's bad enough having to share my house with her, but my bed too! You need to get her out of my room before she thinks she is going to be in there for the rest of her life!"

A few moments later, Talia waltzed into the room wearing pink fuzzy pajamas and furry bunny slippers. "Talia," Daddy said. "Would you like to make a deal?"

Talia raised her eyebrows and curiously replied. "That depends what the deal is."

Daddy stood up and said in a businesslike manner. "If I sleep in your bed tonight, and you sleep in my bed with Mommy, then if by tomorrow morning I wake up and I'm fine will you start sleeping in your bed and stop believing in monsters?"

Talia hesitated for a moment. Then, she shook hands with Daddy and said "Yes."

The next morning, Daddy woke up.  Talia saw him and realized he was fine. She knew that there was no such thing as monsters, and if there were they weren't in her room.

Twenty years later, when Talia's kids told her that they were afraid there were monsters in their room, she smiled, put them on her lap and told them this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment