Sunday, December 25, 2011

Everybody Doesn't Love Daisy

Skyler Billings loved many things.She loved rainbows and flowers. She loved puppies and kittens. She loved dolls and  stuffed animals. She loved her Mom and Dad and her older sister.

Most of all, Skyler loved Daisy Dewdrop. Daisy Dewdrop and the Flower Fairy Girls was her favorite TV show in the whole world. Skyler watched Daisy Dewdrop every day. She had Daisy Dewdrop dolls and Daisy Dewdrop toys and Daisy Dewdrop clothes. Skyler's older sister, Sara always said that if they came out with Daisy Dewdrop toliet paper, Skyler would want that too. Skyler didn't deny it. She considered it a goal to have every single Daisy Dewdrop item in the world. She loved that it seemed like they came out with a new Daisy Dewdrop item every day, but it made it so hard to keep up. Daisy Dewdrop was so wonderful. How could anybody not love her?

Well, not everybody did love Daisy Dewdrop. "If I hear another word about Daisy Dewdrop, I'll scream!" exclaimed Sara to their Mom as Sklyer sat in the living room listening to the opening theme song of the Daisy Dewdrop show.

Their Mom patted Sara on the back and smiled. "Don't worry." she said. "She'll outgrow it." Sara couldn't imagine that. She couldn't remember a time when Daisy Dewdrop wasn't a part of the their lives, and she was so tired of it. She grabbed her stuff and headed for her room.

At first Skyler's friends were into Daisy Dewdrop too. After a while though, they moved on to other things. "Don't you want to watch the Purple Puppy and Calico Kitty show? " asked her friend Amy one day. "It's new and it's such a great show."

Skyler shook her head. "I'd rather watch Daisy Dewdrop." she said.

Amy sighed. "I guess I'll see you around. " she said' "I've gotta go home." After a while, Amy stopped coming around. Soon so did Skyler's other friends.

One afternoon Mommy found Skyler sitting on the couch by herself looking sad. "What's the matter, baby?" she asked sitting down beside Skyler.

"Oh nothing." replied Skyler. She looked away because she didn't want Mommy to see how badly she really felt, but she just couldn't hold back the tears. 

Mommy scooped up Skyler on her lap. "My poor baby." she said. "You can tell Mommy."

"Nobody likes me anymore. Nobody wants to play with me anymore." Skyler burst into a fresh flood of tears.

"I'm sure that is not true." said Mommy. "Let's talk about it." Skyler told Mommy everything that had happened. "Hmm." said Mommy as Skyler finished talking. "I don't thing that it's you that they are sick of. I think it's Daisy Dewdrop." Skyler opened her mouth widely and began to protest. She didn't know how anyone could ever be tired of Daisy Dewdrop, but Mommy continued before she could say a word. "I know you love Daisy Dewdrop, but that doesn't mean everyone does." Skyler opened her mouth again to protest, but again Mommy interupted her. "Do you like those Disney Channel shows that Sara watches?" Skyler wrinkled her nose. She hated the shows that her sister watched, but what did that have to do with anything. "Well, you love your sister, don't you?" Skyler nodded usually she did.

"You love you sister and you don't love everything that she loves."

Skyler nodded again. "But Sara doesn't make me watch those Disney shows with her. We do other things together."

"Aha!" said Mommy.

"Oh!" said Skyler figuring it out suddenly. "Maybe my friends don't want to watch Daisy Dewdrop all the time either."

"Maybe, they don't."  agreed Mommy.

"But I love Daisy Dewdrop!" insisted Skyler almost beginning to cry again, but Mommy quickly hugged her tightly.

"You can still love Daisy Dewdrop." Mommy told her, "but that doesn't mean that everybody else is going to."

"I guess I could watch something else once in a while." said Skyler finally, "and I guess I could play with other toys and stuff. Do you think my friends would want to play with me again then? Do you think they would like me again?"

"I'm sure they would."

Skyler instantly brightened. "I'm going to go call Amy right now, and see if she wants to watch Purple Puppy and the Calico Kitty show with me." After all, Skyler could watch Daisy Dewdrop later on the DVR.

No comments:

Post a Comment